5 - 2
Lucas Moripe Stadium
16/04/2011 20:15

Santos hammered by SuperSport

Posted: 16 April 2011 Time: 22:35

SuperSport United swept aside an off-form Santos with a 5-2 victory in Pretoria on Saturday night.

Anthony Laffor was the hero of the night with a well-taken hattrick.

The first half was action packed, with four goals and several near misses – an entertaining 90 minutes at a sparsely populated Lucas Moripe Stadium on a cold night.

SuperSport were out their blocks quickly, a good start to the game culminated in a 12th minute goal as Laffor beat Lee Langeveldt at the second time of asking after a Glen Salmon assist.


However, the goal spurred the Peoples’ Team into life as they hit back immediately – Erwin Isaacs making it 1-1 in the 13th minute when he raced into the box and headed home Jurie Basie’s inch-perfect cross.

United began to reassert their dominance and had half chances through Salmon and Ashley Hartog, but Langeveldt was able to keep the scores level.

This allowed Boebie Solomon’s team to go in front after 33 minutes – Vuyisile Wana finishing coolly after he capitalised on Morgan Gould’s poor back-pass.

To United’s credit, they never let their heads go down and were back on even terms in first half injury time when Salmon slammed in a near post shot after an intelligent ball in to the box by Hartog.

The second half took some time to heat up as both sides seemed more determined to defend with more authority.

There was however a 48th minute chance for Salmon after a mistake from Zairon van Beulen, but Langeveldt made a good save.

Gavin Hunt’s team were back in front after 64 minutes when Laffor played a ball out wide to Hartog, who returned a perfect ball which allowed Laffor to slot home from six yards out.

In the 70th minute SuperSport extended their lead to two goals when Hartog’s persistence enabled him to bundle home a shot from out wide after beating Langeveldt.

The victory was completed in the six minute injury time period (following a serious injury to Ricardo Katza) when Laffor got his hat-trick, scoring from close range after Fikru Teffera had hit the post with a header.

Related News

View comments