3 - 2
Bidvest Stadium
16/03/2011 16:00

Related News

Related Club News

Bidvest Wits beat Golden Arrows

Posted: 16 March 2011 Time: 18:02

Bidvest Wits beat Golden Arrows 3-2 in a League match on Wednesday afternoon.

The Arrows goal was scored by Joseph Musonda and Musa Bilankulu while Bhongolwethu Jayiya, Stanton Fredericks and Ryan Chapman scored for Wits.

Arrows were down to 10-men late in the game when they had Philani Shange sent off for swearing at an official.

Two late goals from the Students from Stanton Fredericks and Ryan Chapman handed Wits the victory, and unlucky for Arrows a very depressing loss.

The first-half saw the visiting side in control, attacking from the word go. They came extremely close to finding the game’s opening goal in the third minute.

Siyabonga Nkosi tried his luck from 30-yards out, but he saw his effort sail narrowly over the crossbar. Had the shot been a few inches lower Arrows would have scored the game’s opening goal as Darren Keet was completely stranded.

Still, the KZN side didn’t have to wait much longer to find the game’s first goal when Joseph Musonda found the back of the net ten minutes later. The Arrows man concluded a swift passing movement with a clinical finish from ten yards out that found the low centre of the goal, 1-0.

As the half progressed Arrows let their foot of the pedal and allowed Wits to come back into the game. Bhongolwethu Jayiya in particular started to look really dangerous on the attack for Wits.

And it was he who found the equalising goal in the 32nd minute. Sibusiso Vilakazi supplied a pass for the striker to run onto and he made no mistake with a well placed 12-yard shot that found the top left-hand corner of the net to make it 1-1.

When the sides entered the half time break Arrows would have been upset that they let their one goal lead slip especially after they were by far the better team.

The second half was a cagey affair as no side really had any decent chances on goal till the dying minutes of the match.

Just as the game looked to be heading towards a draw the referee harshly adjudged Thamsanqa Gabuza to have handled the ball inside the box. Consequently, Wits’ Stanton Fredericks stepped up to the penalty spot and slotted the ball home to give Wits a 2-1 lead.

Ryan Chapman added salt to the wounds of Arrows when he scored an injury time goal to give his side a 3-1 lead. Arrows had the final say of the match when Musa Bilankulu scored a late consolation goal to make it 3-2.

Previous comments on this story...

Super Green
posted: 06:29 pm
Wits keep playing well....good stuff, in past seasons you were far lower on the log at this stage.
posted: 07:29 pm
Wits University keeps scoring goals. I am liking this team.
posted: 07:29 pm
Wits University keeps scoring goals. I am liking this team.
posted: 10:22 pm
i jst wonder what goes thru Golden Arrows players when they luk themselves at the mirror with all these losses. I mean they shud be ashamed of themselves. Ag ths team is perrenial under achievers
posted: 09:54 am
Well done boys! Pity i missed this one, 5 goals! it must have been a humdinger to watch - carry on like this and you may end much higher up!
Bhongo keep on pumping them in boy - you can be up for top scorer!
posted: 10:47 am
Again Arrows FC dissapointing. I personally won't be supporting this team anymore.No wonder Manto buys lunch for schools to fill the stands. CHANGE YOUR COACHING STAFF AND PLAY THE YOUNGSTERS!!! your team is old and tired:(
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.