0 - 1
Bidvest Stadium
15/01/2011 15:30

Swallows win at last!

Posted: 15 January 2011 Time: 17:31

A single goal from Siyabonga Nomvete handed Moroka Swallows their first win in the 2010/11 Absa Premiership season when they beat Bidvest Wits 1-0 at Bidvest Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

When the final whistle blew tears of joy rolled down the faces of the Swallows players, after 13 matches without a win.

The opening minutes of the match saw the visiting team full of urgency and on the attack. Their hurried approach meant they were unable to keep hold of the ball, but they still created the better of the chances in the first half.

That first chance came in the 15th minute after a swift counter-attack by Swallows saw Siyabonga Nomvete in some space on the left.


He drove towards the box and unleashed a powerful shot from the edge of the area that Darren Keet tipped around the post.

In the 28th minute Nomvete had another chance. Koketso Mmotong whipped in an inviting corner-kick and found the Bird’s talisman unmarked at the front post, but his header was a poor one and sailed narrowly over the crossbar.

Wits started slowly, but soon found their feet and had the majority of the possession in the first half. Still, they did not use it as the coach would have hoped.

Wits only real chance came in the second minute of added time in the first half, when Sibusiso Vilakazi let rip from about 30 metres, but Aubrey Mathibe was up to the challenge and dove at full stretch to his left to push the effort over the crossbar.

Swallows began passing the ball around in the second half, and Nomvete had another chance in the 47th minute, beating two players before firing a low shot that had Keet diving low to his left to make a fingertip save.

Swallows continued to dominate play, and found their goal in the 63rd minute from the penalty spot.

The referee adjudged Koketso Mmotong to have been pulled down inside the box and Nomvete made no mistake from the spot with a clinical finish to give his side the lead, 1-0.

Nomvethe should really have wrapped up matters 12 minutes later when a cross from the right wing found him unmarked inside the box, but his side-footed shot just skimmed the wrong side of the upright.

Three minutes later a similar move from the left saw a cross find Auguston Leonard unmarked inside the 18-yard area, but much like his teammate his shot went inches wide.

Swallows were almost made to pay for their missed opportunities when the referee awarded a soft penalties five minutes from time for some shirt tugging inside the box. Justice was served, however, when David de Oliveira struck the woodwork with the penalty kick and the ball bounced out of play.

In the end the Birds were able to hold on for a well-deserved win, their first of the 2010/11 League campaign.

Related News

View comments