1 - 1
Dobsonville Stadium
27/11/2010 20:15

Swallows and SuperSport draw

Posted: 27 November 2010 Time: 22:28

Moroka Swallows and SuperSport United drew 1-1 in a League match on Saturday night.

The Birds had to come from a goal down to claim the draw after Jose Parreira had scored his first for Matsatsantsa with a beauty midway through the first half. Morgan Shivambu was the man who drew the Soweto side level seven minutes before the break.

Swallows coach Rainer Zobel came into the game under huge pressure, with rumours in the week claiming that the German would be fired if the Birds failed to claim their first win of the season.

In a post-match television interview Zobel admitted that such an agreement was in place with club management and this match was seemingly his last in charge of the Birds.


The home team got off to a promising start, led by talismanic striker Siyabonga Nomvete – who returned from his broken wrist – and his partner in attack, debutant and former AmaZulu attacker Brad Ritson.

The Birds very nearly claimed an early goal, with Ashraf Hendricks’ towering header barely cleared off the line by Jabu Maluleke in the seventh minute.

Swallows also troubled United’s Wayne Brown, with a couple of set pieces from Lefa Tstusulupa and Keegan Ritchie putting the English goalkeeper under severe pressure.

Brown’s counterpart Greg Etafia had only one notable save to make in the first half, blocking a Kermit Erasmus shot after Swallows had failed to effectively clear a corner kick.

Yet, having hardly had any attacking highlights of their own, SuperSport took the lead in the 21st minute. Angolan striker Jose Parreira curled home a superb left-footed shot that went in off the inside of the post and gave Etafia no chance whatsoever.

Swallows didn’t let the goal get them down and they deservedly brought themselves level in the 38th minute through Morgan Shivambu. The midfielder profited from a knock-down by Brad Ritson, cleverly touching the ball past Ricardo Katza before beating Brown with a low shot to make it 1-1.

The second half failed to live up to the standard set in the first 45 minutes, with both teams settling for the draw in the end.

Perhaps the best chance of the half fell the way of Parreira, who got on the end of a fine cross from Maluleke but was unable to direct his glancing header on target.

Substitute Anthony Laffor also came close with a deflected shot that skipped just wide of Etafia’s right hand upright.

Eight minutes of stoppage time was added at the end of 90 minutes after Etafia had to have lengthy treatment for a gash in his mouth after Morgan Gould had followed through on him in a challenge midway through the second half.

Related News

View comments