1 - 4
Chatsworth Stadium
31/10/2010 15:30

Wits thump Arrows 4-1

Posted: 31 October 2010 Time: 17:43

A solid all-round performance by Bidvest Wits earned them an impressive 4-1 win against their hapless hosts Lamontville Golden Arrows in an Absa Premiership match at Chatsworth Stadium on Sunday.

Wits captain Tefu Mashamaite and Nyiko Tshabangu scored in the first half, before Sifiso Myeni earned and converted a penalty, and Asive Langwe got the fourth in injury time. Arrows’ second half substitute Sphesihle Nzimande, however, got a consolation goal for Arrows.

Thulasizwe Khuzwayo got his first start of the season between the sticks for Arrows was kept busy throughout the 90 minutes.

He was called into action in the first minute of play, when Thandyusie Khuboni’s mistimed clearance in the Arrows penalty area placed Sifiso Vilakazi with a one-on-one situation with keeper. But the striker was denied by Khuzwayo who was alert to the danger and responded by coming off his goal line in the nick of time and smothering Vilakazi’s attempt.


Ten minutes later, Khuzwayo was forced to parry Sifiso Myeni’s strike from the edge of the penalty area to safety. From the resulting corner, Wits captain Tefu Mashamaite opened the scoring with a glancing header.

A few minutes later, Myeni tested Khuzwayo’s reflexes with another powerful drive from distance. The keeper was at full stretch to prevent Wits from going further ahead.

By this stage Wits was in complete control of the contest and had their hosts pinned in their own half. All Arrows were able to muster was the odd counter-attacking move.

From one such break the Arrows midfielder Russel Mlotshwa warmed the finger tips of Darren Keet with a dipping drive from distance.

Defender Rene Richards hit a rasping drive from about 30 metres away that crashed onto the crossbar, with the keeper was well beaten.

The visitors were further rewarded for their enterprise with a second goal in the 37th minute when Khuzwayo failed to control a Vilakazi strike. The Ball fell into the path of Nyiko Tshabangu who pounced with a low effort which eluded the keeper’s reach.

It was Nzimande who gave the home side a glimmer of hope with a header in the 77th minute.

But Wits re-established their two goal cushion two minutes later when defender Musa Bilankulu brought down Myeni in the Arrows penalty area. Referee Robert Smith had no hesitation in awarding the penalty kick which Myeni slotted home.

Wits completed the rout when Khuzwayo came off his line to collect Brad Phillips punt out, but Asive Langwe got there first and duly headed past the stranded keeper.

Related News

View comments