0 - 2
Lucas Moripe Stadium
31/10/2010 15:30

10-man Chiefs down SSU

Posted: 31 October 2010 Time: 17:38

Kaizer Chiefs move up to second place on the log with a 2-0 win over SuperSport at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday.

Chiefs are on 14 points, one behind Mamelodi Sundowns' 15.

Kaizer Motaung Jnr was sent off in the 56th minute for a head-butt on SuperSport goalkeeper Wayne Brown.

Chiefs goals - at the end of each half - came through Knowledge Musona and Siyabulela Songwiqi.


Chiefs by no means dominated the game, but took their chances when they came and also showed great determination after having to play for over 35 minutes with 10 men.

United dominated large sections of the first half on a scorching afternoon.

Anthony Laffor and Fikru Tefera were particularly lively for Gavin Hunt’s side, giving the likes of Dominic Isaacs and Valery Nayaho lots to think about.

It was to Tefera that the first chance of the game fell, but he was unable to get enough power on a 12th minute header following a clever cross by Jabu Maluleke.

The next chance on goal fell to Chiefs, but after Abia Nale had pulled the ball back from the by-line in the 19th minute, Knowledge Musona blasted his volley well over the bar.

In the 32nd minute another opportunity materialised when Brent Carelse intelligently executed a first time left foot volley on the run which nearly caught out Ithumeleng Khhune at the near post.

But Chiefs scored against the run of play in the 41st minute, when Musona added to his growing reputation, slamming home a first time shot from 16-yards out after Mthokozisi Yende’s neat chip with the outside of his boot had left the Matsatsantsa offside trap exposed.

SuperSport came out with purpose after the break and were close to scoring in the 48th minute when Maluleke’s low drive from a tight angle flashed just wide of the upright after a searching ball from Laffor.

The complexion of the game was changed in the 57th minute when Kaizer Motaung Jr was red-carded, having retaliated after keeper Wayne Brown’s said something that upset him.

There was soon another chance for the hosts, but Laffor twice in quick succession was unable to find a finishing touch.

Nale though had a good chance to extend the Soweto side’s advantage in the 62nd minute, but sent a volley over the bar.

With Khune appearing to be struggling with an injury, United tried their luck from range which saw Thandani Ntshumayelo testing the keeper with a stinging drive while David Kannemeyer was off target with his effort.

SuperSport continued to push for an equaliser, but 10-man Chiefs defended with discipline.

And it paid off in the 84th minute when Songwiqi burst clean through on goal from a counter-attack, the former Bay United man showing great composure to slot past Brown.

The champions rallied hard in the dying moments of the game, showing character in trying to fight back, but time and time again poor finishing and some determined defending Chiefs defending denied them a consolation goal.

Related News

View comments