1 - 0
Lucas Moripe Stadium
23/10/2010 20:15

SuperSport down Vasco in Cup

Posted: 23 October 2010 Time: 22:33

SuperSport United beat Vasco Da Gama 1-0 in a Telkom Knockout Cup match on Saturday night.

The goal was scored by Anthony Laffor in the first-half.

Matsatsantsa could have won by a much greater margin but fine goalkeeping by Posnett Omony and some truly appalling finishing meant that the home team had only Laffor’s 16th minute goal (the Liberian’s first of the season) to show for their attacking efforts.

SuperSport handed a full debut to right-back Keeno Shellar in the absence of the injured Jeffrey Ntuka and made a further three changes to the starting line-up from their 1-1 league draw with Ajax Cape Town in midweek.


The visitors made three changes to their XI as compared to the line-up in the 2-2 draw against Mpumalanga Black Aces last weekend, with Aidan Jenniker, Cole Alexander and Brian Kgafane all handed starting berths.

Vasco came close to opening the scoring in the ninth minute when central defender Francois Adams met a corner kick and powered a header on target, but David Kannemeyer was well placed on the goal line to clear the ball.

Five minutes later it took a superb finger-tip save from Posnett Omony to deny Jabu Maluleke. The Ugandan goalkeeper did just enough to deflect Maluleke’s long range drive onto the top of the crossbar.

By this stage SuperSport were really beginning to get into their stride and in the 16th minute they duly took the lead, with Anthony Laffor rifling a drive past Omony from just inside the penalty area after great set-up play from Fikru Tefera.

The hosts were given a scare just before the midway point of the first half when Sibusiso Zuma chipped a cross to the far post from the left of the 18-yard box and found the late run of Lebogang Mothibantwa, but the midfielder could only find the outside of the post with his close range effort.

On 24 minutes Fikru powered past Adams to have a sight of goal from an acute angle on the right of the penalty area but his powerful effort was turned away for a corner kick by Omony, who looked furious at the lack of protection from his defence.

And Omony’s opinion of his defence would have been even lower ten minutes before the break when they allowed Laffor to race free on goal – fortunately for Vasco the Liberian contrived to place his low shot wide of the target when he had only the ‘keeper to beat.

United contrived to miss another glaring opportunity in the 42nd minute and coach Gavin Hunt surely ripped into his team at the half time break for their lack of killer instinct.

The second half saw rain and wind sweep in from a storm front. Vasco had the winds at their back and looked to take advantage of the difficult weather conditions which they – being a Cape team – are more accustomed to. Yet in the 61st minute it was SuperSport who almost added to their advantage, with Dipsy Selolwane denied by an excellent point-blank save from Omony.

SuperSport goalkeeper Wayne Brown had little to do throughout the game but he made a crucial block on Jonathan Armogam with just under 20 minutes to play, smothering the Vasco attacker’s effort after he had sprung the home team’s offside trap.

Related News

View comments