2 - 0
Kaizer Sebothelo Stadium
25/04/2010 15:00

Chiefs knocked out by minnows

Posted: 25 April 2010 Time: 17:03

Telkom Knockout champions Kaizer Chiefs were shocked 2-0 by FC Cape Town in a Nedbank Cup Last 16 tie at Botshabelo Stadium on Sunday.

Cape Town went ahead in the 19th minute, courtesy of Lyle Lakay, and doubled their lead in the second half, when captain Samuel Eboule Bille scored in the 64th minute.

The Cape side were outplayed at times, but their guts, organisation and determination in defence carried them into the quarterfinals.

FC Cape Town employed tactics of getting at least 10 men behind the ball when Chiefs had possession and this worked perfectly as the Amakhosi found themselves very frustrated by their inability to find space.


In fact the Soweto giants had to wait until the 25th minute for their first chance on goal which saw Jose Torrealba shooting over the bar from a tight angle.

By that stage, though, Chiefs were already a goal down following Lakay’s 19th minute strike for the Cape side, the youngster having shown good pace in exposing the Chiefs defence before finishing with a low angled shot.

Mukendi Mulumba had supplied the through ball for Lakay’s goal and in the 30th minute he came close to scoring himself with a well-struck effort on the turn.

Amakhosi’s only shot on target in the first half came three minute before the break when FC CT keeper Thembalethu Moses did superbly to tip Mthokozizi Yende’s 25-yard effort overt the bar.

The Soweto side continued to dominate the game after the restart, with the First Division team happy to sit back and soak up the pressure.

Torrelaba had a good chance to level matters in the 50th minute, but he dragged his shot over the bar.

The Cape side hardly threatened Chiefs at all in attack, yet after 65 minutes they were 2-0 up, the goal coming from a set piece as skipper Eboulle Bille powered home a header from Lakay’s corner.

The game soon retuned to the FC Cape Town half of the field but Mandla Masango had a shot blocked by man-of-the-match Francois Adams while Abia Nale bounced his 78th minute header over the bar.

The final stages of the game saw Chiefs continuing to attack, but they were foiled by some outstanding saves from Moses, who kept out efforts from Masango and Torrelaba.

Related News

View comments