1 - 2
Rand Stadium
18/04/2010 15:00

Chiefs beat League champs

Posted: 18 April 2010 Time: 16:51

Knowledge Musona got the winner as Kaizer Chiefs beat SuperSport United in the Nedbank Cup at the Rand Stadium on Sunday.

SuperSport went ahead through Letladi Madubanya in the 41st minute. Chiefs came back in the 64th minute, when Mthokozisi Yende hit home to make it 1-1, and Musona dribbled the defence to get the winner for Amakhosi.

Chiefs dominated from the first minute, while SuperSport’s makeshift defence looked shaky at times.

Chiefs controlled the midfield and made good use of the width of the pitch attacking down the flanks to good effect. Abia Nale, in particular, looked in fine form for the Soweto giants created the first chance on goal in the 14th minute.


Nale drove down the left flank, beating his marker before pulling the ball back to Musona on the edge of the 18 yard area. Musona let fire with a wicked right foot shot but Dennis Onyango, in the United goal, was in fine form diving full stretch to his left to tip his effort around the post.

Nale was in the thick of the action once again four minutes later after another dangerous run down the left flank. This time he opted to cut inside and fire off a shot with his right foot, but his radar was a bit off as the ball sailed just past the right hand upright.

Chiefs continued to marshal the game and were able to find space behind a wobbly SuperSport United back four. Mandla Masango looked certain to break the deadlock in the 37th minute when a nice passing movement saw him with the ball at his feet and only the keeper to beat.

Onyango, however, looked determined not to be beaten and produced another fine save diving full stretch to his right this time to tip Masango’s 16 yard shop around the post.

Then, totally against the run of play, SuperSport converted their first attempt on goal in the 42nd minute.

After a quick set-piece just outside Chiefs 18 yard area, United slip a quick pass to the right before a low cross was fired into the box. Madubanya was the first to act, getting to the ball ahead of Bartman at the near post to toe-poke it home, 1-0.

Chiefs seemed to run out of ideas in the second half, until Masango broke down the right flank in the 65th minute, beating two defenders before squaring the ball to Yende on the edge of the area.

This time Onyango could do nothing to prevent Yende’s powerful shot from hitting the bottom right hand corner of the net, 1-1.

The game looked to be heading to extra time, until Chiefs’ rising star, Musona, picked up the ball on the edge of the 18 yard box in the 88th minute. He proceeded to drive into the box going past two defenders before firing home from an acute angle beating Onyango on his near post from only six yards out, 2-1.

With only minutes remaining SuperSport tried to get back into the game, hit the crossbar in the third minute of added time from a corner, but Chiefs managed to hold on to a deserved win.

Related News

View comments