Downs, Birds share the points

Posted: 19 February 2010 Time: 21:00

Mamelodi Sundowns fought back from two goals down to force a 3-3 draw with Moroka Swallows on Friday night.

Tonight’s contest was of course a continuation of Wednesday night’s clash, which was called off after 35 minutes due to the failure of one of the floodlights. Swallows thus took a 2-0 lead into the game, with the match continuing in the 35th minute.

Their goals on Wednesday night had come from Siyabonga Nomvete, who had cut in from the left and fired a sizzling effort across the body of Brian Baloyi in the ninth minute, and Vincent Kobola, who had struck with a thunderous 30-yard drive to double the advantage after 35 minutes.

Prior to, and between both goals, it had, however, been Sundowns who enjoyed the better of the play, creating several chances on goal, but having not been able to beat Greg Etafia in goal for Swallows.


Back to tonight’s game then, which in effect saw Sundowns outscoring Swallows by three goals to one.

Both sides had half chances in the opening passage of play, before Downs struck in the 43rd minute to get the goal they so badly needed; Mathew Pattison’s free-kick was floated in from the right and deceived Etafia.

When the teams retuned for the second half, it was the Brazilians who remained on top, with chances coming in from Papi Zothwane, whose 47th-minute effort went just wide, and a 57th-minute shot from Elias Pelembe, which forced Etafia to get down quickly to cover his near post.

And in the 67th minute the pressure paid off as Zothwane bundled the ball home to level matters after another blunder from Etafia following a Pattison free-kick.

But the lead was only to last for two minutes as Nomvete snuck into the box to head in Lefa Tsutsulupa’s free-kick.

Goal chances were seemingly being created at will and Sundowns could well have netted in the 74th minute, but Surprise Moriri shot straight at Etafia from close range.

But Sundowns kept on coming at their opponents and in the 76th minute it was 3-3 as Swallows again failed to deal with Pattison’s ball into the box, enabling Moriri to net from close range.

There were anxious moments in the Swallows box as the pressure continued to mount from the team in yellow, who were inches away from making it 4-3 when Felix Katongo’s header smashed into the cross-bar and back into play.

Zothwane then missed a great chance in injury time when he ballooned the ball over from 10-yards out.

Related News

View comments