2 - 2
Seisa Ramabodu
16/02/2010 19:30

The groundsman were heroes

Related News

Related Club News

Arrows hold Celtic 2-2

Posted: 16 February 2010 Time: 22:35

Celtic were held to a 2-2 draw by Arrows on a waterlogged pitch in Bloem on Tuesday night.

A torrential downpour prior to the match threatened to see the game called off but it went ahead despite the pitch being severely waterlogged.

Unsurprisingly both teams struggled in the treacherous conditions, with the ball rolling smoothly in some areas and simply coming to a complete halt in others no matter how much power was put behind the pass.

The first genuine attacking highlight came in the 30th minute when Celtic’s Prince Olomu fired off a long range shot that was palmed over the crossbar by Thulasizwe Khuzwayo.

On 39 minutes a free kick from Cecil Oerson was poorly defended by Arrows and Patrick Malokase had a clear sight of goal from just a couple of metres out but he contrived to put his shot wide of the target.

With the pitch as it was, it was surprising that the players weren’t trying long range shots that could skid off the surface and make life difficult for the goalkeepers.

Vusumuzi Vilakazi must have had the same idea in the 43rd minute when he unleashed a long range strike with his left foot, but ironically his effort flew cleanly through the air and rebounded into the goal off the upright – an absolute stunner of a strike to put Abafana Bes’thende 1-0 up heading into half time.

The groundsmen at the Seisa Ramabodu Stadium swept the pitch at half time, allowing for a better playing surface in the second half, though it was still difficult for the players.

Eight minutes into the second half Celtic pulled themselves level. Siyabonga Sangweni missed a cross from Malokase and Olomu showed great composure to work some space and fire the ball home from close range.

Just before the hour mark, Phunya Sele Sele put themselves in front for the first time when a clever, skidding cross from Cecil Oersen was touched beyond the reach of Khuzwayo by Malokase, his second goal in as many games.

Arrows had their chances to pull level, most notably when Richard Henyekane was unlucky to see the ball stick in some standing water when he found himself with a clear sight of goal, but they had to wait until four minutes before the end to equalise.

Njabulo Manqana provided a good cross from the right flank and substitute Joseph Musonda arrived at the back post to score with his head and bring Abafana Bes’thende level.

by backpagepix

Previous comments on this story...

Big Dude
posted: 09:14 am
Firstly I think that game should have been abondoned. However, I think the players gave it their all. They still manage to produce a very exciting 4 goal thriller in those conditions.

If I were to compare this game with the 1st round Soweto derby, this game would pass with flying colours.
We sshould have collected maximum points masele. Aces is next
posted: 09:50 am
The game should have never kicked off. The pitch was unplayable, and I do not think the decision to go ahead with the game was taken in the best interest of football, it was just to suit the league' schedule. In the end the quality of football was compromised.

It's time for all teams to be treated fairly and equally...the game would have been called off it was MS, OP, or KC...
posted: 10:02 am
dangerous conditions, but dont we have drainage systems in such stadiums?

the game was enjoyable though....
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.