1 - 1
Super Stadium
12/12/2009 20:15

Chiefs and 10-man Celtic draw

Posted: 12 December 2009 Time: 22:15

Kaizer Chiefs and Bloemfontein Celtic drew 1-1 in an Absa Premiership clash played at Super Stadium on Saturday night.

Celtic scored first through Thabo Nthethe and Gerald Sibeko got the equalizer for Chiefs. Celtic played most of the match with 10-men after Johannes Motlhaping was sent off in the 15th minute.

Referee Faiek Daniels did not hesitate in sending off Celtic defender Motlhaping with a quarter of an hour gone; the lanky defender could not properly control a long ball from Letsholonyane.

Kaizer Motaung Junior put him under pressure and stole the ball from him and sped away. Sensing a goal in the offing, Motlhaping brought down Motaung from behind just outside the Celtic penalty area.


The referee sent him on his way and awarded Chiefs a free kick which was well executed by Jose Torrealba, who put it just over the Celtic cross bar.

Somehow despite having a numerical disadvantage Celtic managed to surge ahead in the 22nd minute.

Chiefs midfielder Letsholonyane upended Cecil Oerson on the right edge of the Chiefs 18-yard area and from the resulting free kick Mark Mayambela powered the ball towards goal – Letsholonyane got in the way and headed the ball onto his own cross bar.

Celtic captain Nthethe remained attentive and was quicker to the loose ball than Chiefs defender Dominic Isaacs and was able to stab it past Itumeleng Khune and over the line.

Ultimately being under relentless pressure from Chiefs broke Celtic and they conceded a goal which, under normal circumstances, they could have dealt with better. Gary Goldstone was the unfortunate party as his attempted clearance of Jimmy Tau’s cross from the right wing fell into the path of an unmarked Gerald Sibeko in the 36th minute.

The midfielder timed the ball perfectly, hitting on the volley past a stranded Tignyemb to level the scores.

As Chiefs threw men into attack they almost conceded a goal on the counterattack after 66 minutes of play. Tlou Segolela was sent through on goal down right; as he came closer to goal Khune ran off his line the Celtic striker chipped the ball over Khune and onto the right hand post.

Excellent Walaza was quick to pick up the loose ball but Isaacs had made up enough ground to block his shot.

Into the 80th minute Jimmy Jambo struck the ball ferociously with his left foot from about 20-yards from goal. Tignyemb at full stretch managed to block the ball which fell to Torrealba, who controlled the ball with his chest but could not find Tignyemb’s goal with his overhead kick.

Segolela again caught Chiefs on the counter attack in the 81st minute this time he put his effort wide of Khune and into the side netting.

Related News

View comments