SAFA wait to charge Serero
Posted: 7 November 2017 Time: 18:31
The South African Football Association will take action against midfielder Thulani Serero once he submits his reasons for staying away from camp in writing.
Serero opted not to be part of Bafana Bafana squad for the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Senegal because he wanted to be guaranteed game-time by coach Stuart Baxter. Since Baxter took over, Serero has not had the chance to play.
Serero, who has previously had run-ins with Bafana coaches, has struggled to break into the starting line-up, with players such as Percy Tau and Themba Zwane doing well in recent matches for Baxter’s side.
The former Ajax Cape Town player does not want to travel all the way from Holland and not play when he joins the team.
Serero was on the score sheet when Bafana beat Senegal 2-1 in Polokwane last year, before the game was ordered to be replayed after FIFA had found that referee Joseph Lamptey had manipulated the result.
“We can prepare the charges once we have written reasons from him. We have requested that he writes to us and then we will take it from there,” said SAFA spokesperson Dominic Chimhavi.
SAFA, meanwhile, are expecting a crowd of over 30 000 for Friday’s encounter.
On Monday night, 11 827 tickets had been sold for the game that will be played at Peter Mokaba Stadium, which can hold 45 000. By 18h00 on Tuesday, 17 700 tickets had been sold.
“You know the culture of South Africans. We believe the sales will start picking up on Thursday and Friday. We are predicting a crowd of over 30 000,” said Chimhavi.
Bafana had two training sessions at Peter Mokaba Stadium on Tuesday. Keagan Dolly, Andile Jali and Dino Ndlovu were the overseas-based players who joined the team after their arrival was delayed. Turkey-based Lebogang Manyama is expected to start training on Wednesday morning.