3 - 0
Bidvest Stadium
27/11/2011 15:00

Ryan Chapman

Related News

Related Club News

Bidvest Wits beat Santos in the Telkom Knockout Cup

Posted: 27 November 2011 Time: 16:55

Ryan Chapman, with his seventh goal of the season, was at the heart of Santos’ exit from the Telkom Knockout after he created his side’s first goal and scored the second in BidVest Wits 3-0 semifinal win.

The People’s Team may have started the better of the two teams, but the opening ten minutes, where they excelled, was the best period of the match for them. And to be frankly honest the only chances Santos created on goal were long range shots.

In the fifth minute Tawonga Chimodzi let loose with a powerful low drive from 25-yards out, but Energy Murambadoro produced a good save to deny him.

Three minutes later and Graham King also tried his luck from long range, but he saw his effort sail high over the crossbar.

Following a disastrous ten minutes and some bollocking from Roger De Sa on the side lines, Wits quickly sprang into action and took control of the game with their slick passing and off the ball running.

In the 21st minute Sifiso Myeni almost gave the Students the lead when his 25-yard free-kick beat the defensive wall but struck the crossbar and bounced away from danger.

Two minutes later and an attack down the left saw a good low cross come into the Santos area. Asive Langwe did really well to get in front of his marker at the near post to meet the cross, but his effort went wide from six-yards out.

As expected, Santos sat back in defence and tried to hit on the counter-attack, and there was a rare chance in the game when Jonathan Armogam broke behind the Wits defence in the 28th minute. But he squandered the chance chipping over the goalkeeper and the crossbar in the one-on-one situation.

The second half, though, was all the home team and we only had to wait eight minutes after the restart before Wits took the lead.

After an initial goalmouth scramble inside the Santos area, Ryan Chapman was quickest to react as he powerfully pulled the ball across the face of goal from the right side of the six-yard box which was met by the left foot of Langwe from a couple yards out, 1-0.

Then in the 63rd minute, ten minutes after creating his side’s first goal, some sloppy defending from Santos allowed Chapman to score Wits second goal.

Chapman easily beat a defender inside the box, nut-megging Pere Ariweriayi, to leave himself with just the keeper to beat and the Students’ striker made no mistake burying the ball past Tshepo Motsoeneng from ten yards out, 2-0.

With Wits in firm control of the match after taking a two goal lead, they eased off and were content to go through the paces as Santos hardly threatened in attack.

Substitute Sifiso Vilakazi confirmed the victory for the Students with the games third goal, a well-placed 18-yard shot in the 93rd minute that found the top right-hand corner, 3-0.

Wits and Orlando Pirates will now meet in the final of the Telkom Knockout.

Previous comments on this story...

posted: 05:23 pm
after pirates game last nyt it took more than an hour 4 kickoff.com to update bt now it took jus few minutes to update. Shame kickchiefs.com
posted: 05:24 pm
same chapman?mhh!i foresee a funeral of an old man here.
posted: 05:25 pm
Ya i cant wait 2 c how the zebraz are going 2 say when the gost give the wits the hard time
posted: 05:27 pm
everything is about 3 these days at the university of WITSWATERSRAND.in the final it will be the same story.
posted: 05:33 pm
The two micky mouse in the final,huum,it will be a booooring final,two teams that skop and dondor,not good 4 SA futball,that tell something about BB fifa rankings.I am not going to watch a shit final.The SA People are waiting 4 the game that is going 2 close curtains 4 2011 is Downs v Chiefs. China teams in the final,SA futball in crisis.
posted: 05:34 pm
Hope Pirates and Wits play an open football I was hoping for this final as Santos doesn't knw soccer Game on !!!!
posted: 05:34 pm
gud results 4 bidvest zebras, now the bacaneers gona wipe dis boys 's. lets beat dem hard. Bucs 4 life until boby buy the star newspaper for careers
posted: 05:35 pm
Great, a worthy opponent! Let's see them try to beat us 3 - 1 again. I would like to see how those boys handle Jali and Manyisa
Clever boys
posted: 05:37 pm

Clever boys 3 Santos 0 Thanks to to those who supported us this afternoon I hope they do the same when we face Pirates again on December 10. Bengingazi sesinabalandeli abangaka besides laba abebe gqoke ama kit ama team abo. It was close to a full capacity crowd.
posted: 05:39 pm
I might be a Chiefs supporter who is no longer proud of being chiefs supporter but what i know is that Pierats will win this cup easely
Clever boys
posted: 05:39 pm
pirates!!!!!!!!! pirates!!!! B scared!
posted: 05:39 pm
Up da bucs!!!
Clever boys
posted: 05:41 pm
@hlabarinto. They were saying that on this forum when we faced Cosmos. Don't b surprised when we do it again.
posted: 05:43 pm
@stylish - u r talkin kak broer, 2b in final means we r da best 2 teams in mzansi, ure team zebra fc was booted out long time ago. So just liv us alone u idiot from family business fc. Bucs4life until zebra fc win da tremble
posted: 05:44 pm
Wel dne wits, i am lukng 4wad 2 an interestng final. Chances of Wits wining da cup are gud, abwt 50.1% and pirates' chances of wining da cup are slim, abwt 49.9% lukng a both teams' current performance. Dnt 4lo me 4lo da birds.
posted: 05:50 pm
To tell the truth,since Rats call them the best,BB is the worst.they don even have one stand up player 4 BB,U can court me on this,Jali and Manyisa, those two moskimos are not BB material,thats the truth,ask Vilakazi,another moskimo.
posted: 05:52 pm
come 10 dec we wil show the students that we are nt called treble champs for nothing. Up the bucs! Down the zebra
posted: 05:57 pm
@Hlabarinto ......hw cn u say pirates wl easily win da cup? Are u talkng abwt da same pirates dat easily lost to Wits recently at Mbombela. Ur memory is very short. It wl b a tough game 4 pirates, Wits is currently better dan pirates, numbers dnt lie. Cum da 10th, me n u wl b singing da same tune abwt wits.
Clever boys
posted: 05:57 pm
Pirates are too legy I wonder how will they chase these fast running boys. Jayiya and Mngomeni will be back that day.
posted: 06:00 pm
Stylish dont be jealous Pirates is no 1 in south africa and no 28 in the world while you are no 32 in the world. so you cant call it a micky mouse team
Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.