1 - 0
(0 - 0)
FNB Stadium
17/02/2018 20:15
Referee: Christopher Harrison

Related News

Related Club News

Absa Premiership match report Kaizer Chiefs v Cape Town City 17 February 2018

Posted: 17 February 2018 Time: 12:39

Kaizer Chiefs moved into second spot after a 1-0 win over Cape Town City in an Absa Premiership showdown on Saturday.

Chiefs made six changes from their 1-1 draw against Bidvest Wits. Interestingly, Bafana Bafana’s Eric Mathoho unavailable, with Leonardo Castro and Siphelele Ntshangase earning their first league starts.

The Citizens came without captain Robyn Johannes, who missed out through suspension, while Matthew Rusike returned to a ground very familiar to him.

The opening spell saw both sides exchanging large amounts possession, as it took 13 minutes for Lyle Lakay to get the first shot on goal which came off the side-netting.

Wiseman Meyiwa, who got his first professional goal against the same opposition late last year, broke into the box and found his effort towards goal blocked after Taariq Fielies put his body on the line.

Teko Modise forced Itumeleng Khune to produce his trademark reflexes after 20 minutes when he unleashed a half-volley from outside the box.

In unfashionable circumstances, Joseph Molangoane tested Sage Stephens from a distance, but it was tamely directed at the former Moroka Swallows man who held on comfortably.

With half time approaching, both sides reverted back to the continuous loss of possession displayed in the opening exchanges as they went into the tunnel goalless.

Benni McCarthy drew the first blood from the bench, with Sibusiso Masina taking the place of Craig Martin at the start of the second half.

However, they allowed Ryan Moon to pin them back seconds from the break after he ran in-between their defence to toe-poke home.

The in-form striker nearly doubled his tally after being set-up by Ntshangase, but put his left curler wide of goal.

Steve Komphela made his first change. Veteran Siphiwe Tshabalala replaced Ntshangase in the 58th minute.

Castro’s cross from the right was met by Moon, who sent it inches wide of Stephens goal. Pressure was starting to get the visitors, but they continued to soldier on.

Masina had a shot cleared off the line by Teenage Hadebe after he beat two players before slotting past an onrushing Khune who nicked his entry to goal late on.

Stephens came up with a big save in added time to deny Moon his brace from point-blank range, as the Amakhosi claimed the maximum points to go second.

Article by: Staff Reporter

AWAY: Cape Town City

Coach: Benedict McCarthy
Formation: 4-3-3

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.