2 - 2
(0 - 1)
Moses Mabhida Stadium
Referee: Victor Hlungwani
5 - 6
on penalties

Related News

Related Club News

Telkom Knockout quarter-finals Kaizer Chiefs vs Free State Stars

Posted: 6 November 2016 Time: 13:59

Free State Stars beat Kaizer Chiefs 6-5 on penalties after the teams were locked at 2-2 in their Telkom Knockout quarterfinal at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Sunday 

Bokang Tlhone has Stars ahead with a cracking goal inside nine minutes, before Edmore Chirambadare equalised for Chiefs. Thokozani Sekotlong looked to have grabbed the win for Stars in extra-time, but Erick Mathoho brought them level again.

The match was played in torrential rain that made conditions very difficult for the players and the opening stages were characterised by misplaced passes and errors.

But Stars took the lead inside nine minutes with a great piece of skill from Tlhone, who cut inside from his left-wing position and placed the ball into the top corner, giving Itumeleng Khune in the Chiefs goal no chance. 

Chiefs pushed forward in search of the equaliser and afetr Michelle Katsvairo saw his effort saved by Thela Ngobeni, they thought they should have had a penalty.

Siphiwe Tshabalala went down in the box under a challenge but referee Victor Hlungwani waved play on. Replays showed it was an expansive dive from Tshabalala, and while Hlungwani made the correct call, he should have booked the player for simulation. 

Katsvairo should have equalised midway through the first half when he broke free to find himself one-on-one with Ngobeni, but shot straight at the keeper when a metre either side would have delivered a goal.

Chiefs comtinued to press and created a number of half-chances, but failed to find the equaliser before the halftime break.

Chiefs dominated the first 15 minutes after the break but Chiefs were twice denied by brilliant stops from Ngobeni.

First he stopped a powerful header from Tshabalala, before a world-class stop  to deny another headed effort from Katsvairo.

Danny Venter let loose with a rocket shot that was brilliantly saved by Khune, but Chiefs were level with seven minutes to go.

Ngobeni could not clear a corner and Chirambadare netted with a bullet into the top corner of the net. It was his first goal for his new club. 

The match went to extra-time but it was Stars who regained the lead as Sekotlong was fed just inside the penalty areas and turned to shoot past Khune. 

But Chiefs were level again when Mathoho steered a header from a free-kick past Ngobeni to spare the home side's blushes.

The shoot-out was filled with drama, but when William Twala's final spot-kick was saved by Ngobeni – the keeper's second save in the shootout – Stars booked their place in the next round.

Article by: Staff Reporter

AWAY: Free State Stars

Coach: Giovanni Solinas
Formation: 3-5-2

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.