1 - 1
Athlone Stadium
20/02/2009 20:00

Romano Scott of Santos evades a tackle from Daniel Tshabalala of Platinum Stars

Related News

Related Club News

Santos and Tycoons draw

Posted: 20 February 2009 Time: 22:36

Several goal line saves from the Platinum Stars defence saw the Tycoons earning a 1-1 draw with Santos at the Athlone Stadium on Friday night.

The visitors scored first through Edward Williams in the second minute while Musa Otieno got the equalizer for Santos.

The match marked the first time ever on this continent that electronic communication technology allowed the lines-men to communicate with the referee.

Visiting coach Miguel Gamondi elected not to play some of the club’s recent acquisitions from the start, leaving Jabu Mahlangu and Dillon Sheppard on the bench, while Mbulelo Mabizela was not in the squad.

An entertaining first half saw the Tycoons off to a flying start in the first 10 minutes, during which time they scored the opening goal, but Santos regained their footing, equalised and were close to adding a second before the break.

Stars could not have hoped for a better start, with only a minute on the clock Santos goal keeper Francis Chansa’s weak punch from Tshepo Ramokala’s cross allowed Edward Williams to find the top corner of the net with a well placed shot from outside the box to make the score 1-0.

The Tycoons continued to threaten early on, but after Ramokala had struck the side-netting from a tight angle it was the People’s Team who nearly equalised in the 11th minute when Erwin Isaacs headed the ball to Romano Scott, 10 yards out.

But with Scott about to pull the trigger, Daniel ‘Sailor’ Tshabalala made a goal-saving sliding tackle to nick the ball off Scott’s feet.

Following efforts from Scott (a header off target) and Arendse (who volleyed wide), it took another superb piece of defending to deny the Cape Town side an equaliser.

This time it was central defender Oscar Ntwagae who came to Stars’ rescue as he blocked Ryan Chapman’s goal-bound shot, which had followed a neat one-two with Musa Otieno.

But in the 27th minute there was finally reward for Santos’ consistent pressure when Wayne Arendse’s long throw-in was put into the back of the net via Otieno’s looping header to make the score 1-1.

The home team ended the half in storming fashion, but again the Stars defence held firm as Otieno, Tyren Arendse’s wonderful volley and Isaacs’ follow up were all kept out.

There was little respite from the Santos attack in the early stages of the second half as Bongi Macala tested Sandilands from range and then Isaacs riffled a free kick over the bar.

And then Stars’ defence was again stretched to the limit in the 52nd minute when Wayne Arendse’s header crashed against the upright before Macala’s accurate follow up was cleared off the line by a well-positioned Tshabalala.

Stars’ first look in on goal in the second stanza came only in the 66th minute when long range shot specialist Williams unleashed a 35-yard shot with the outside of his foot, which gave Chansa another chance to demonstrate a save not included in any goal-keepers manual.

Action simmered down until the 80th minute when Chansa was called into action, this time making a world-class save, diving full length to palm Stanley Kgatla’s stinging shot to safety.

That proved to be the last real action as the final ten minutes played out without any real threat on goal.

The result will most likely have been more pleasing to Gamondi – Santos coach David Bright would no doubt have been left thinking that his team should have used their chances better to secure all three points.

Terms of use:

The comments posted do not reflect the views of KickOff.com. Users are reminded that no misuse of this comment facility will be tolerated. Any abusive, racist, inflammatory, defamatory, discriminatory comments or hate speech will be deleted and the user banned.

If legally obliged we will hand over your information under the Protection of Information Act.

Please report abusive posts to editor@kickoff.com.